Tuesday 11 November 2014

How would I be if I ended up in an English education background

Come from a tradition Chinese family, no doubt that my parents send me to a SJK(C) which is also known as Chinese primary school for education. For that level, they put me in a chinese education is just for the sake of learning mandarin. I was happily spent my 6 years in SJK(C) Kwang Hwa and left with good results and achievements.

The turning point, the only different and most special year within my educational life was my form 1. After primary 6, my mom sent me to a SMK (government school). Same with other basic secondary school in a small place, nothing much I can get nor learn from this school. My performance, my presentation, my manners, my reputation was getting worse. My dad realized he has to do something to avoid this continue to be happened on his beloved daughter, he decided to move our family to Penang where we can get better quality for education.

My first choice was Convert Greenlane (CGL), the following is Penang Chinese Girl High School (PCGHS). I have gotten 6As in my UPSR, so going to any school that time does not give me any big problem, as long as it is not a boy school. Thing never goes as what we wish. My parents do not have the same opinion as mine. My parents plan to send me and my sister to Heng Ee High School (HEHS) just because of the super annoying strict discipline and the super short hair for the girls in that school. At the same time, my auntie was so "kind" to stop my parents put me to CGL. The reason she gave was quite true but I am still unhappy with it. 

I remember what she told my mom very clearly, 
"You cannot put her into CGL. She is already act so angmo (western), lack of discipline, she will only getting worse if you send her there."

Dang dang!!! At the end, I ended up in the "jail".

Frankly speaking, HEHS treated me well. At least I do not fail my SPM and I learned a lot there. This is what in my thought when I was 17.

Now I am 23. A university student. Physiotherapy. I would totally have different comment on sending children to a Chinese secondary school. Who the hell is still using formal mandarin now? I mean in my current profession. Those tatabahasa or the specific ways to classify a chinese sentence into parts or the chinese simpulan bahasa etc. All I already returned to my teacher. I scored A2 for my BC and I do not put much effort on it compare to my other subjects. Is chinese language so important?

My classmates mostly are from Chinese school. Sadly, they have problem in study. Cannot be denied that they have awesome memorising skill. They can memorize whole chapter and when going to exam they just throw that in. You think this is good? Nah!! Not at all. Compare to those who went to not SMJK they have better performance in academic. They can think better and speak out as well. In tradition chinese education, we learn with spoon feed and we are NOT allow to fight back what teacher tells. Not proud at all to say I am from a SMJK. 

Come back to the main purpose I write this post. I am (I admit) an open-minded people since I was 13. I would fight back or shouted back to the one I do not agree. In western education, this call self protect, own opinion. But in Asian education, this is biadap, no manners, lala.

The current me is mixed up with both pattern. I do not know who am I also. My friend said, if I were not sent to Chinese school, I could be worse. Hook up with anyone or wake up in different bed everyday. Nah!! I am not that kind of girl, I know what I am doing ok?? I think I could be better if I went to CGL. I could understand English better. (FYI, i scored in my Eng in SPM). I could think widely and better. I could handle my relationship better.

I often dated with banana (refers to those who cannot understand Chinese/Mandarin CINA). I might look like an easy going girl, but inside me, I am tradition n typical on relationship. I am still adapting the way how they handling a relationship. CINA-pek will stick with the gf 24/7, good night call every night, but banana not really all will do this. Bananas more emphasize on freedom and independent. Of course sexual on a newly date couple is just common for bananas. For CINA-pek, it would be something new, serious and shameful. I do not understand what shame is that. 

*Will talk more about this when I am free, lazy now.*


No comments:

Post a Comment